Ergebnis 1 bis 11 von 11

Thema: 7 People

7 People

“I present you with a challenge to spot the culprit before I am ready to reveal him/her. To make it easier for you, I will give you hints and clues along the way but I still defy you to anticipate my solution. However, I give you fair warning that I will use every trick in my writer’s repertoire to fool you but I still promise to abide by the fair play rule.”
    (John Curran 2016: 80)

Da das Spiel selbst komplett englischsprachig sein wird, ist auch diese Konzeptvorstellung auf Englisch. Lasst euch aber nicht abschrecken, selbstverständlich muss deswegen niemand auf Englisch schreiben, wenn ihm oder ihr Deutsch lieber ist. ;)

WHITTEMORE MANOR
    Guest House
    05th of November 192x

Dear Mr. Langsdale,

I would like to thank you for your letter, delivered to me on the 04th of November. As per your request, we have reserved the specified room on your name for the time of the 20th of December until the 03rd of January.

Whittemore Manor is looking forward to your stay.

Yours truly,
         Margaret Whittemore

December 192x.

Robert Langsdale, veteran of WWI, is on his way to Whittemore Manor, a remote guest house in the countryside. Shortly after his arrival, however, a snowstorm sets in, cutting the residents of Whittemore Manor off from the outside world.

When a murder occurs on the first night, with no one being able to leave or enter, it is clear that only one of the six remaining people can be the culprit…

Robert Langsdale
    A young man in his early 30s. A war veteran seeking some peace and quiet in the wintery solace of Whittemore Manor, who does not like to talk about his time at the front.

Margaret Whittemore
    Widow of a manufacturer who amassed a fortune during the war. In her early 60s now. After her husband’s death, she and Jane Green turned Whittemore Manor into a guest house.

Jane Green
    An old spinster and friend to Margareth Whittemore. After Mr. Whittemore’s death, the two moved in together. A teacher in her late 60s at the town’s primary school.

Edith Jones
    A novelist who stays at Whittemore Manor over the holidays to work on her current novel. Seeing how she has been coming for the past 3 years, she seems to be fairly successful, although no one knows what exactly she writes.

Annie Whittemore
    Margaret Whittemore’s granddaughter who, on a whim, decided to spent her holidays at her grandmother’s. A bright young thing who has gotten a lead as an actress for a number of radio plays.

William Spore
    Annie Whittemore’s fiancé. A man in his 20s of unknown profession who appears to live off his father’s money. He is accompanying Annie on her spontaneous vacation.

Frederick Hembry
    The local doctor and family physician of Margaret Whittemore. He is just on a house visit at Whittemore manor when the snow storm sets in.

Golden Age crime fiction
    An era spanning the time between World War I and World War II that saw the likes of Agatha Christie, Ronald A. Knox and John Dickson Carr introduce their Detectives to their audience. Closed room murders, remote country houses, trains and storms cutting you off from the outside world. The (chronological) predecessor to the Hard Boiled genre.

Great Britain of the 1920s
    The “Roaring Twenties” were a time of contrast: Manufacturers had profited immensely from the war, women had gained wages and voting rights and the aristocratic youth – the “Bright Young Things” – had the time of their lives. Tides turned quickly in the mid 1920s, however, and Britain fell into unemployment and depression. A time with no DNA samples or CCTV, but rather one of dictaphones and the advent of the first radio news broadcasts.

A battle of wits
    The idea that a detective story also functions as a challenge to the reader: “Can you solve my mystery I choose to reveal its solution?”, or as Knox put it: “A detective story must have as its main interest the unravelling of a mystery; a mystery whose elements are clearly presented to the reader at an early stage in the proceedings, and whose nature is such as to arouse curiosity, a curiosity which is gratified at the end.” (Knox 1929)

~ all material is still a work in progress ~

Genre: RPG, Crime Fiction
    Engine: Game Maker Studio 2 (no RTP required)
    Resolution: 160x144px (native, upscaled 320x288px)
    Intended length: appr. 3 hours

Curran, J. (2016). Agatha Christie's Complete Secret Notebooks. London: HarperCollinsPublishers.
    Knox, R. J. (1929) “Decalogue.” Knox, R. J. and H. Harrington (eds.): Introduction to The Best English Detective Stories: First Series, pp. 9-23. New York: Horace Liveright

Geändert von BDraw (25.08.2017 um 15:42 Uhr)

Hier wird nicht geterrort
    stars5
    Awwwjeah

Zitat Zitat von BDraw Beitrag anzeigen
    <3

Hey BDraw,

While the general idea sounds certainly interesting im not entirely sure what kind of game this is supposed to be. I know you mentioned the genre but are we talking about a point and click adventure, a "walking simulator" or a classical Role-playing type of game here?

The Screenshots suggest a cluedo-style gameplay? Well im certainly intrigued but i would love to get a bit more information on how you plan to design the gameplay.

Otherwise im looking forward to the finished project.

EDIT: Since you are doing it in English is this planned to be a commercial or just an international release?

Geändert von Lord of Riva (24.08.2017 um 19:26 Uhr)

Eine Vorstellung mit Fußnoten, ich raste aus!

GOTY².

@Lord of Riva:
    Hu, schätze jetzt kann ich das auch auf Englisch weiterführen, wenn schon der Startpost in Englisch ist xD

Zitat Zitat
    While the general idea sounds certainly interesting however im not entirely sure what kind of game this is supposed to be.
    I'm afraid I'll have to reach a bit to answer that:

I'm trying to transport the general experience of (actively) reading a detective novel into a video game format. Challenging the reader is one of the core principles of Golden Age crime fiction, but books are by definition not an interactive medium. The reader watches - through the narrator - the detective gather the necessary clues and gets the chance to draw their own conclusions right before the author announces the solution (through the detective, usually). However, whatever the reader comes up with has no impact and is not acknowledged by anyone.

Now for crime fiction games, most developers put the player in the detective's shoes and simply let them gather the clues by solving puzzles or mini games. But where's the challenge in that? That way, you lose out on competing against the detective and - considering how these games are usually constructed - you just gather the clues while watching conclusions unfold automatically while the story progresses. It's no longer "Can you find the solution?" but rather "Can you endure minor obstacles while finding the clues and watch the character solve the crime for you?" This holds true both for walking simulators as well, in my experience.

So what I'm trying to do is to force the player to collect clues, but also to actually have them think about them. If all they do is to run mindlessly from one objective to the next, collecting evidence and testimonies, but without forming their own theories, then I don't think they should reach the "true end" (to adopt visual novel terminology for a bit). That's not (for me) what crime fiction is about.

Coming back to your question: I'm not sure how to put it into words (also, I've never played Cluedo): It's not a stereotypical RPG since it's lacking the fighting, leveling, etc. systems, but it's not as passive as a walking simulator. You experience the story through Robert Langsdale, use him to gather clues and have to actively keep track of what's going on (that's what the notebook is for, btw - those notes will have be written entirely by the player, or else it simply stays blank). If you miss crucial evidence or take everything at face value, you probably won't be able to figure out what's going on and neither be able to present your point of view, nor evaluate whatever theories the in-game characters may come up with.

As for how exactly the player will be asked to provide their theories, I'd rather not say at the moment, since I still have various ideas on how to implement that.

Sorry for the wall of text, if you weren't interested in all of that and just asking about "Will I control a character RPG style on an actual map?": Yes, I'm just not done with the tileset yet

Zitat Zitat
    EDIT: Since you are doing it in English is this planned to be a commercial or just an international release?
    No idea. For now, I'm just trying to make a crime story I'd enjoy while getting used to the engine. However, I'm also open of course to international players. Regarding commercialization, I can't say yet, but there are no plans right now along that line.

@Wonderwanda:
    Wenn ich schon Literatur zitiere, dann auch richtig

Geändert von BDraw (24.08.2017 um 19:53 Uhr)

Great i just deleted my post accidentally, i will post another answer but will keep it brief, my apologies. I will continue to write in english with the assumption that non-german speakers will potentially read these posts and i think it will be helpful down the line if you dont have to answer the same questions over and over in two languages. I hope you dont mind.

Thank you for your elaborate Answer, this is what i had hoped for. The last part is also appreciated :P

With the Focus on letting the player piece the crime together it sounds like one of those "adventure gamebook" that i loved playing with as a kid. What you describe sounds amazing, however at the same time im painfully aware how challenging it is to make a believable Story with a lot a a lot of variables.

The players mind is kind of the Bane of any Adventure game Designer or P&P GM to give the player ample options to play out the Story (and come to the wrong conclusions!) is a great but hard to achieve Goal, at least i have to say with an Expected playtime of 3 hours i think you have a good grasp on how this can end up without content creep.

Just to reiterate: I'm really looking forward to this Project, i love crime drama and love the idea of the game basically being the puzzle in itself for the player to solve, so count me in as hooked

EDIT: I need to change my brain, halp, since i write words that completely change the meaning of what i actually want to write. So i changed that and made my Post 20% more friendly.

Geändert von Lord of Riva (24.08.2017 um 20:49 Uhr)

Zitat Zitat von BDraw Beitrag anzeigen
    @Wonderwanda:
    Wenn ich schon Literatur zitiere, dann auch richtig
    Richtig so, dann gibt es auch keine Probleme bezüglich des Urheberrechts.
    Wenn du aus Büchern zitierst, musst du aber auch den Titel (ggf. das Kapitel) angeben (wie im Deutschunterricht oder für Facharbeiten in der Uni/Ausbildung).
    Da es da meist mehrere, unterschiedliche Ausgaben gibt, sollte das reichen.

Zitat Zitat von Firefly84 Beitrag anzeigen
    Richtig so, dann gibt es auch keine Probleme bezüglich des Urheberrechts.
    Wenn du aus Büchern zitierst, musst du aber auch den Titel (ggf. das Kapitel) angeben (wie im Deutschunterricht oder für Facharbeiten in der Uni/Ausbildung).
    Da es da meist mehrere, unterschiedliche Ausgaben gibt, sollte das reichen.
    Ich denke, mit den in der Fußzeile gemachten Angaben zusätzlich zum Author-Date bin ich auf der sicheren Seite gemäß des aktuellen APA Styles. MLA mag zwar theoretisch passender sein, aber das bisschen Freiheit nehme ich mir da mal.