PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Some advanced CharSet Usage

Johnny(TM)
09.08.2005, 16:31
Since I finished working with rm2k/3, and trying to use rmxp or something else, I want to give some tips to use your charsets better. I had ideas, but I guess I don't use them anymore. And sorry because I'm speaking english, but maybe it better than my german knowledge.

8-Dir Movement:
----------------
ONLY IN RM2K3 or with Key-Patch!!

I never seen that script in any game, but it's very simple, especially in rm2k3. You must have 2 variable:
- OUTKEY - Left/Right
- OUTKEY - Up/Down
In rm2k3 Enter Password command you can select the following cursor keys to those variables, and DON'T put wait for them.
After that you can use Fork Condition to check the variables. For example: if Left/Right=2 and Up/Down=1, your character must move to the direction left-down. Put in that condition a Move Event - Move Left-Down command. So simple, isn't it? ;)

Running:
--------

Another simple script that I didn't see in any rpg. You need a new variable for that, and that's all:
- OUTKEY - Run
In Enter Password command select a key for the run, and DON'T put wait for that. I suggest in rm2k3 the SHIFT key, because it's close to the cursor keys. In rm2k use ENTER key(Decision).
After that use a Fork condition to check the variable. If it's not 0, Increase your characters speed with the following command:
Move Event Hero - Speed Down, Speed Down, Speed Down, Speed Up, Speed Up, Speed Up
And on the else case, use the following command:
Move Event Hero - Speed Down, Speed Down, Speed Down, Speed Up, Speed Up.
And put a Wait 0.0 after the Fork Condition. Whoa! :eek: :D

Upgrade character animation from 3 to 8:
---------------------------------------

Now it's a little more complicated then the others. Here's a picture to see what I want to tell you:
http://www.kepfeltoltes.hu/050809/walk.gif

The trick is to know the CharSets well. You must plan the animation first with the following way:
http://www.kepfeltoltes.hu/050809/New_Anim4.png
Also the Position 1 MUST equal with Position 5. You need to have a variable, which will check that you push down a cursor key. If it's not equal with 0, you must wait. For that, I used the following information from an other thread:

Ein Schritt mit der Geschwindigkeit "Normal" dauert In "Wait": "0,1 Sek" + 2x "0,0 Sek" (also 8x 0,0 Sek)
Ein Schritt mit der Geschwindigkeit "2xSlower" dauert In "Wait": "0,2 Sek" + 4x "0,0 Sek" (also 16x 0,0 Sek)
Ein Schritt mit der Geschwindigkeit "4xSlower" dauert In "Wait": "0,4 Sek" +8x "0,0 Sek" (also 32x 0,0 Sek)
Ein Schritt mit der Geschwindigkeit "8xSlower" dauert In "Wait": "0,8 Sek" +16x "0,0 Sek" (also 64x 0,0 Sek)
Ein Schritt mit der Geschwindigkeit "2xFaster" dauert In "Wait": 4x "0,0 Sek"
Ein Schritt mit der Geschwindigkeit "4xFaster" dauert In "Wait": 2x "0,0 Sek"

This is the time of 1 step. After a half step (in 2xSlower speed Wait 0,1+2x 0,0) change the hero's walking gfx to the next number. And after another half step change again. And this will go around.

64x24 size CharSets:
--------------------

This is an advanced too. Maybe you find out already, that you need to use an event. The problem is that this event sometimes slip out from it's place. That's why you need to use 2 event. Check the cursor key pressed down, and move the events into that directions. Use wait after the commands. If you don't use the hero, and want to work on 20x15 maps, you can use a Solid Terrain. In the database Terrain create one, and in ChipSet, mark the Solid terrains with that. After just script down, that don't move into that direction when it's solid.

Okay, I've got more scripts around, but I'll tell you them about later.

Trial
09.08.2005, 16:43
Hmmm...it sounds all very logical. I guess that i will give the running script and the 8-instead-of-3-walking animation at least a try.

Through it doesn't seem to be too complicated (i'll might see how comlicated it really is, when i'll try it in the maker later) the effect it has could be very nice nad useful in many different kind of games, not only in classic rpgs.

Deathball
09.08.2005, 17:36
Running:
[...]
Another simple script that I didn't see in any rpg

I'm sorry that I have to dissapoint you, but you're wrong - Alderan had a function that allows you to run. :p
But I have to admit that this is unfortunately a very rare function in games.

Upgrade character animation from 3 to 8

I'm pretty sure that it looks nice - but I don't think that this is something of importance. I would prefer more "different" animations, for example a animation for walking on spiral staircases(I hope that this is the right word ^^°) or an animation for opening chests. That would improve the graphics more instead of just adding some new poses when you walk.

cya
Deathball
i hope my english is not too bad and you that can understand it without bigger problems ^^°

Johnny(TM)
11.08.2005, 13:14
Step Sound Effect:
------------------

Okay, this time I'll start with another easy script. In rm2k3 it is in the database, but not in the rm2k. I saw a script on your net, that is playing this sound, but it works wrong. Here's the good script:

You need 4 variable. 2 contains the hero's current x-y coord, and 2 contains the hero's last coordination. If the last x not equal with current x, call the common event, which play the sound effect. Also, if the last y not equal with current y, use it. And put a wait 0.1 after all the script.
In the common event I said use a new variable. Use Get Terrain ID with the hero's current position, and with the new variable. The new variable contains the Terrain ID. The sound depends on this variable. For example, if you are in a desert, the variable equal 3.

The event avoid fixing in 8-Dir:
-----------------------------

Sometimes you can avoid events with the 8-Dir script. Fortunately the fix for this bug is easy. On the same method as Step Sound, save the Event ID into a variable. If it's not 0, call the event's first page.
Note that you need to do something with the variables. If the character can walk through this, it must have 2 event page at least. The first page contains the On Hero Touch commands, and the 2nd page contains the Push Key commands. ;)
(I hope you'll use this script, because this is my favourite, and also the run)

Animation, when Entering Skiff:
------------------------------

The hero walk to the skiff, and disappear. This looks ugly, so why don't we modify it a bit? :)
You need a Parallel Process that'll check, if the Skiff is front of the hero. If it's true, it must wait for the Decision Key. Here comes the Animation.

For example: the hero want to jump into a boat(skiff). You need a Move Event:
- Start Jump, Move Forward, End Jump.
After that Lock the screen with Pan command. Change the graphic of the hero and the skiff, and use the following Move Event:
- Turn 180, Move Forward, Torn 180
After all, use Enter Vehicle command, and Unlock screen with Pan command. :eek:

(
Deathball: The Aldaran running script is a bit different then this one. Aldaran running script depends on cursor keys, but I think run must have a different key too)