PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : At last. It was about time! - English-Thread #1

These
12.09.2011, 10:10
Mornin' everyone!

I'm sorry if there was a Topic like this already. But seeing that the QFRAT is meant to be the new Lounge I guess some new Topics won't hurt. I'd like this to be a possibility for improving one's own English-skills, so don't be afraid to ask for useful phrases etc.

All we need now is something to discuss. Soooooo....the weather, huh? Don't get me started on the weather. Yeah, I'm really starting this with some kind of weather-talk, deal with it! :D

How did you enjoy the summer? Any life-changing journeys, parties, festivals, concerts or dates? Looking forward to this year's fall and winter or is the end of the summer also the end of happiness for you?

EDIT: No rules! If you want to help, do it. If not, you don't have to.

fedprod
12.09.2011, 11:11
Nice idea methinks :)

I got only one thing to say about this summer: BMT! :A:A:A
I'm looking eagerly forward to the meeting this winter, if I can attend that is...
Hopefully I can. Can't wait to meet all the people again ^_^
New Year's Eve Party, YAY! :bogart:

drunken monkey
12.09.2011, 11:13
If you want to help someone improve his or her their English you can do that in German, too, if it is necessary
(Singular they)

Looking forward to this year's fall and winter or is the end of the summer also the end of happiness for you?
You're welcome. :p

Nice idea, though, the thread. ^^ Let's see what's gonna become of it.

The summer was … mixed. I was ill a lot (more than in winter o_O), but also had some great events. Generally I like spring best, but try not to get down to much in the other seasons. ;) (Not even fall … :-/)

Glannaragh
12.09.2011, 13:06
Nice idea! Weather is a fine point to get started, I think :D.

How did you enjoy the summer? Any life-changing journeys, parties, festivals, concerts or dates? Looking forward to this year's fall and winter or is the end of the summer also the end of happiness for you?
Summer, well... partly too hot for me, since I work as a gardener. having the sun blazing down on your head eight hours a day is not really fun, but it could have been worse. But now, I'm looking forward to the autumn, because it's my favourite season, though I'm going to be busy sweeping leaves most of the time (honestly, it's a bit frustrating doing this over and over again and just after a few hours the yard looks exactly like before, as if you hadn't done anything :\).
Special moments: There was definitely one: We met at my place with a few people from the ElderScrolls Tavern. I daresay it was one of the very few community meetings where more women than men participated (in fact, one guy and three girls, and aditionally my boyfriend, but he's got nothing to do with the mmx - apart from endruring me hanging around here all day ;)). That was a great event for me, though we didn't really do much more than talk and eat :D. I think, I'm gonna repeat this next year.

Olman
12.09.2011, 13:37
This is so weird.

Glannaragh
12.09.2011, 13:37
This is so weird.
Why? :confused:

Oestinator
12.09.2011, 14:03
Compared to the last summer, this one kinda sucked.
This one was basically all about studying for my exams, trying to enjoy the few sunny days and otherwise playing videogames or meeting up with friends. I didn't even get to go on the beach this year :(
As for the winter, I really don't have much plans about it, but I know that I'm definitely going to attend the "Bagaluten-Wiehnacht" again this year :D

Gala
12.09.2011, 14:20
This is so weird.

This.

Valada
12.09.2011, 14:22
(Singular they)
Thou shalt not correct people incorrectly. "Improve they English"... doesn't your stomache hurt while talking like this? oO

Skar
12.09.2011, 14:24
Brain hurts, eyes are melting :(

This thread is wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.

Well, will stay out of it. Hurts too much.

Valada
12.09.2011, 14:35
Brain hurts, eyes are melting :(

This thread is wrong on so many levels it's not even funny.

Well, will stay out of it. Hurts too much.
You are no help, Sir.

fedprod
12.09.2011, 14:47
Thou shalt not correct people incorrectly. "Improve they English"... doesn't your stomache hurt while talking like this? oO
And thou shall READ what stands in the appointed Source, not nitpicking at lone Words:

Singular they is the use of the pronoun they (or its inflected forms) when plurality is not required by the context.
Singular they indicates indeterminacy in regard to:

* number — "Anyone who thinks they have been affected should contact their doctor";
* gender — "One student failed their exam."

Skar
12.09.2011, 15:01
You are no help, Sir.No use fighting for a lost cause.

Valada
12.09.2011, 15:09
And thou shall READ what stands in the appointed Source, not nitpicking at lone Words:
Nitpicking like the question whether "his or her" or "their" is better und using a link that on first sight doesn't seem to have to do anything with the used words? Correcting, ok! But not schoolmarmish like that, ok? Besides: In the above context "his or her" is more polite considering mistakes maken by single persons. I am no "they".

Last but not least, I don't want people to read through linguistic instructions for reconsidering such vanities. If you have something to insist, do it directly and obvious. Don't just throw a non-saying link in and let people stay in the cold.

No use fighting for a lost cause.
No use in pointing it out either. Why not let the whelps have a little trial and error? Where's the difference in raping one's mother language or another? My eyes already have been burned out looooong ago.

Olman
12.09.2011, 15:40
I'm with Skar.

Why?
It's just weird to watch people who you've seen posting in German for years suddenly talk about the weather in English.

Well, there might actually be some merit to the idea of having an English OT-Thread just for the sake of letting people try out their English.
But a thread with the purpose of letting a load of non-native-speaking people try to correct each others' English doesn't make much sense to me. And there's nothing in it for me to point all the mistakes in (for example) Valada's post - it'll just make me come off as a smartass.

These
12.09.2011, 15:55
I'm with Skar.

It's just weird to watch people who you've seen posting in German for years suddenly talk about the weather in English.

Well, there might actually be some merit to the idea of having an English OT-Thread just for the sake of letting people try out their English.
But a thread with the purpose of letting a load of non-native-speaking people try to correct each others' English doesn't make much sense to me. And there's nothing in it for me to point all the mistakes in (for example) Valada's post - it'll just make me come off as a smartass.

The purpose of this thread was not to correct each other. Basically it's just another OT-Thread (albeit an OT-Thread in English). I just wanted to say that it might help some people, when their spelling-/grammar-/whatever-mistakes are pointed out and corrected. Seeing that we aren't native speakers, there is a lot of room for improvement. Just to make that sure: no one has to correct anyone in here.

I'll better change the opening post. :D

fedprod
12.09.2011, 16:00
Sorry if my previous post sounded a bit harsh.
I for myself doesn't want to appear like a smartass either,
but sometimes it gets through as I happened to had a very stern english teacher. ^_^
No hard feelings.

Glannaragh
12.09.2011, 16:08

Ok, now I can understand what you mean. But I just like the idea - because I like the language and simply don't have the chance to use it every day, so I gladly take up on the opportunity - even if it's just talking about the weather ;). And should there be any mistakes in grammar or vocabulary, I actually hope that someone will point them out to me. One doesn't have to be a native speaker to do so, does one? None of my English teachers was, as far as I remember.
And should this thread seem so weird to you, why bother instead of simply ignore it? ;)

Karl
12.09.2011, 16:22
My english expression is really bad, but if you dont mind, I would also like to post here to improve it. At least I can understand it (and well, I can use random internet phrases, horray). Please correct my grammar, if it dont make a big effort to you. Ah, and I am glad These opened this thread. In a few months I have to write my english abitur and - as said - my phrasing is terrible, english grammar is something really strange and ugly ;__; (unless 'internet memes' is the topic of this years abitur)

Well my summer... it wasnt that cool. There was BMT and a short visit to the great and powerful ex-kingdom of saxonia, but I havent used the time I got well. Heck, I can barely remember, what I've even done. But well, the visits were nice, even though the sun was on vacation too. (Oh and I trashed my theoretic driver licence exam, shortly before my trip to saxonia. Next week I repeat it... the exam not the failure... I guess)

Valada
12.09.2011, 16:43
And there's nothing in it for me to point all the mistakes in (for example) Valada's post - it'll just make me come off as a smartass.
I'd love to believe these words came from a deeper insight. But I fear it's just a flame, isn't it? I know exactly how good
-or rather bad- my english is. So, if you find me ignorant, enlighten me! Just do all of us the favor and do it for the sake of learning and knowledge instead of slaping your all-so-mighty-overskills in other people's faces.

Back in the good old days my best friend and I used to talk english (long before the internet was available to mere mortals) on the way to school and back. She was daughter to an english teacher und finally ended up studying this horryfing language. I didn't help me to get any better but it was fun. I'm so glad no Skar or Olman came by to embarrass the two off us. It would have made us very, very sad.

Olman
12.09.2011, 16:55
Actually I meant rather the opposite... (but it's typical of you to see a flame behind every corner...). I thought that you're probably well aware of the fact that your English is in fact rather bad - and thought you might be offended if someone were to point out every little mistake in your post. I was saying that I don't want to (and that nobody should) embarrass people by correcting the mistakes in their posts because it can come over as nitpicky and rude - and, let's face it, some people just don't want to be told that they're wrong.
Plus, as you saw when drunken monkey corrected These's original post, it can quickly lead to a discussion over whether the correction itself was right or not - and if that happens every time somebody corrects someone else, that would just screw up the thread.

Icetongue
12.09.2011, 17:05
Well hello, chaps. I do say that friendly chit-chat does indeed strike my fancy rather mightily. :D

As for my summer; well, it was mostly uneventful. Like a handful of others I attended the BMT, met several excellent people, a few whom I had yearned to meet for some time and generally spent some of the most enjoyable days in years. So, yeah, the BMT was the highlight of my summer. I don't get out often, is what I'm trying to say.
The end of summer is nothing I worry about, since I believe that every season has its own beauty, be it brown leaves scattering in the wind during fall or the peaceful, snow-clad landscape of winter. Actually I tend to prefer the colder seasons, since they make staying indoors that much more enjoyable, like sitting in front of the fire, drinking a cup of whichever hot beverage is available and listening to the storms raging outside. It's the small things, you know?

Btw: Drunken Monkey's correction is absolutely correct and valid. If there is no specified gender, "they" may be used instead. So "improve their english" is the way to go.

Valada
12.09.2011, 17:21
Actually I meant rather the opposite... (but it's typical of you to see a flame behind every corner...). I thought that you're probably well aware of the fact that your English is in fact rather bad - and thought you might be offended if someone were to point out every little mistake in your post. I was saying that I don't want to (and that nobody should) embarrass people by correcting the mistakes in their posts because it can come over as nitpicky and rude - and, let's face it, some people just don't want to be told that they're wrong.
Plus, as you saw when drunken monkey corrected These's original post, it can quickly lead to a discussion over whether the correction itself was right or not - and if that happens every time somebody corrects someone else, that would just screw up the thread.
In this case the discussion seems to be necessary. As you mentioned it causes trouble when someone starts to correct unasked. We need to have a rule here; an agreement in which manner people can or must not react to mistakes. This should be made crystal clear before we go on because -and you're right here once again- to much correction will crush the rest of the talk.

Btw: Drunken Monkey's correction is absolutely correct and valid. If there is no specified gender, "they" may be used instead. So "improve their english" is the way to go.
The problem was (for me) that the link looked like "they" is the word to go. I'm repeating my self... but yeah: No one should be forced to read through such instruction to unterstand what the critic was about. Especially as the link is held in english itself. Really. Do you expect someone who made a mistake to get things together by giving him a source in that language she or he so obviously hasn't mastered yet?

Glannaragh
12.09.2011, 17:23
Actually I meant rather the opposite... (but it's typical of you to see a flame behind every corner...). I thought that you're probably well aware of the fact that your English is in fact rather bad - and thought you might be offended if someone were to point out every little mistake in your post.
To be honest, I got the same impression as Valada. You know, someone opens a thread to give people the opportunity to play around with a foreign language a bit an then you come in and the only comment you leave is "that's so weird". My first thought was: "What? Am I really that bad? Or why don't you just say what's wrong with the text I posted here?" Had you just said it seems strange to you that german native speakers suddenly start using English, it had been fine. You could just have been a bit more... diplomatic, you know? ;)

Please, let's not screw this thread by pissing off each other. Should this not be of interest to people, it will vanish in the wastelands of page 2 - x anyway. Until then, give it a chance. We've got enough feuding going on with the Schlund/ Lounge - thing already :(.

It's the small things, you know?
:A

Besides, it seems quite a lot of people have been to the BMT this summer. How many of you were there, and what did you do there? I'm still a bit surprised we managed to organize a meeting of a few TES-OT people and would like to hear more about the BMT, which was obviously much bigger :).

These
12.09.2011, 17:59
Actually I tend to prefer the colder seasons, since they make staying indoors that much more enjoyable, like sitting in front of the fire, drinking a cup of whichever hot beverage is available and listening to the storms raging outside. It's the small things, you know?.

Man, if I had a fireplace at home I wouldn't even mind if the winter lasted a whole year. So awesome!

As to this year's summer: the 2 weeks in France were great, even though we weren't lucky with the weather and therefore had to drive 500 more kilometres to get away from the rain. Apart from that, it was nothing really spectacular. But that's probably because last year was pretty much the most amazing summer I ever had (Abitur and every party that goes with it :D).

Icetongue
12.09.2011, 18:44
Besides, it seems quite a lot of people have been to the BMT this summer. How many of you were there, and what did you do there? I'm still a bit surprised we managed to organize a meeting of a few TES-OT people and would like to hear more about the BMT, which was obviously much bigger :).
The BMT was quite large, at least I felt so. We were surely 60 people, crowded in the youth centre, literally sleeping in every corner available. As for the things we did, there was tons of stuff to do, nearly too much since it was impossible to be a part of every single game, role-play, event, tournament and what have you. The things I remember most fondly, in no particular order, were the pony-marathon, during which every single episode of My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic was shown, by projecting it on a wall, cinema-style. One night of trash-movies sponsored by Steel, followed by re-launches of Neon Genesis Evangelion and a live-action movie of the Manga Gantz (which was astonishing, to say the least, I loved it), both brought by csg, if I remember correctly. V-King managed a small but incredibly fun tournament of the game Pac-Man Championchip Edition Deluxe, which brought maybe the most intense sensations I have ever felt when it comes to Pac-Man. Besides that, there was swordmanship-lessons, many different roleplaying games, including werewolves and pokemon, Byder's 18th birthday, several sports were played and so on. So, yeah, it was so much fun! Sleeping on the floor was absolutely worth it. Just for waking up next to Karl every morning. :3
Even though Karl tried to steal some of my underwear.

Man, if I had a fireplace at home I wouldn't even mind if the winter lasted a whole year. So awesome!
Well, to be honest, I no longer have this particular fireplace, or any for that matter. That's back when I still lived a bit further up to the north, before I moved in order to study. You know how they say that back then everything was better? That's how I feel when I think back to that time. We had a small house, a small bit of the adjacent forest included as property, two cats, a fireplace which was actually necessary to keep us from freezing to death during winter. Sure, sometimes it was quite a pain to go outside, wade through the knee-deep snow to haul some firewood inside, which often got wet in the process or simply because of the weather. But, the result, namely sitting in front of the fire, with a cat on your lap, always was more than worth it. God, I get so nostalgic thinking about it.

Karl
12.09.2011, 18:57
Even though Karl tried to steal some of my underwear.And I would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids adults! Dx
And yes, it was very neat to wake up between Tako and Ice in the morning. And Icetongue was soooo cute with BlackRoses hairy thing in his arms. <3
I am looking forward to the winter BMT in a few months, with all of you and your love. Do you plan to come too, Glannargh?

I just have determine that people in this thread write more actual text with less smileys. Why did that happen? O_o

Icetongue
12.09.2011, 19:01
And Icetongue was soooo cute with BlackRoses hairy thing in his arms. <3

I just have determine that people in this thread write more actual text with less smileys. Why did that happen? O_o

Firstly, that was a fox, not a hairy thing. :O
Seondly, when you study a language, any kind of informal writing is drilled out of your head. That's why I tend to sound like a total ass when speaking or writing English. :D:A:D:A:D:A:D:A
I guess it is kind of the same for the others. You tend to think more thoroughly about what and especially how you want to convey it. So, smileys and common platitudes are left out.

Karl
12.09.2011, 19:07
Firstly, that was a fox, not a hairy thing. :ONow you've done it. You wicked, wicked little thing just spoiled the tension :(

I guess it is kind of the same for the others. You tend to think more thoroughly about what and especially how you want to convey it. So, smileys and common platitudes are left out.Animexx musst be a well of german prodigies :x

Turgon
12.09.2011, 20:58
What a nice thread! I can't speak/write english very well, but I will post here to improve my english skills, just like Karl.

@Topic: I come from a rural area, where summertime is partytime. So I was often at home and not in the city where I go to the college. So I spent most of my summer at partys, although I should have rather studied^^'
Right now I study all day long, stupid tests-.-'

P.S. If you see some grammar mistakes, please tell me, I want to improve!

T.U.F.K.A.S.
12.09.2011, 23:27
Seondly, when you study a language, any kind of informal writing is drilled out of your head. That's why I tend to sound like a total ass when speaking or writing English. :D:A:D:A:D:A:D:AOh, you're such a prick sometimes... :D

Yeah, people tell me that I sound like an Australian when I speak English. That's just friggin' fantastic, because I've never been to Australia and I know how the accent sounds like only because I watch Crocodile Hunter and Steve Irvin is was my goddamn hero ("It's awroyght, matey! I won't hurt cha, chap!"). Dude had balls of steel (no pun intended).

@Turgon: I think your English's okay so far ;) My English ain't perfect either. Which is just great because I'm contributing action movie reviews for an English language-website :D

drunken monkey
13.09.2011, 01:16
@ Valada et al.*: Sorry, I didn't mean to trigger such a discussion. The corrections weren't really meant to be taken seriously, as they were deliberately nit-picky. But I guess light sarcasm works even worse in foreign languages than it does in the internet to begin with. ^^" The "You're welcome" was meant as the hint for that, anyways.
Also, the "their" correction (where, I think, few natives would have objected to the "his or her" variant (except maybe feminists insisting on "her or his" XO) anyways, so it's really more a comment than a correction) had the correction in the quote, the link was just meant to be a reference (as I'm already used to discussing this particular peculiarity of the language). If you overlooked that, it's not really my fault. Also, as it wasn't meant seriously, I just used the first reference I could find and didn't search for a German one (which, I agree, would of course make much more sense for a real correction).
Anyways, as said, I'm sorry to have come across as rude or unhelpful, and I agree we might need some rules for this. Although several people have already explicitly asked for being corrected, so it should at least be OK to correct those. (I myself would also like to be corrected, btw.)

And I would've gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids adults! Dx
XD

@Turgon: I think your English's okay so far ;) My English ain't perfect either. Which is just great because I'm contributing action movie reviews for an English language-website :D
Ah, just build some Nazi reference into your pen name and German-y English could actually become your gimmick! ;P

@ Karl: Sorry, but I flat-out refuse to let my use of smileys be influenced by the language I write! :p

* I also flat-out deny that wirting my Master's thesis influences my English in any way. :O

~Jack~
14.09.2011, 16:51
So, Karl is turning into this?
http://s7.directupload.net/images/110914/oyoyafu6.jpg

drunken monkey
15.09.2011, 00:16
XD

Finally, we got to a more QFRAT-appropriate level here! Maybe this thread now has a chance of survival … :p

Diomedes
15.09.2011, 00:36
Finally, we got to a more QFRAT-appropriate level here! Maybe this thread now has a chance of survival … :p
Finally, I can stop paying attention to this.

Karl
15.09.2011, 12:19
Finally, I can stop paying attention to this.You're such a bummer.

Turgon
15.09.2011, 19:49
I can't believe, how a little talk with a good looking woman can make my day:D
I studied the whole day long and was in a real bad mood. Before I went home, i got me some food from a drugstore.
After that a real nice woman came to me, she tried to convince me of donating money for Unicef.
So i had a little talk with her, that... I don't know... made me kinda happy:D

Glannaragh
15.09.2011, 20:08
The BMT was quite large, at least I felt so. We were surely 60 people, crowded in the youth centre, literally sleeping in every corner available.
Wow! Who was the hero who organized such a large meeting? I've worked on some teenager summer camps and such for about fifteen years now but never dared to take all the organizing on me (such as renting a house, bus and so on. But I've visited literally every hospital in Sweden from Karlskrona to Mora :D).

Sounds like you've had a lot of fun :D.

Do you plan to come too, Glannargh?
Is that an invitation? ;) Well, no, not really. I haven't got anything to do with the Makers and wouldn't know what to talk about...

After that a real nice woman came to me, she tried to convince me of donating money for Unicef.
So i had a little talk with her, that... I don't know... made me kinda happy:D
And... did you donate some money? ;)

Icetongue
15.09.2011, 20:29
Wow! Who was the hero who organized such a large meeting? I've worked on some teenager summer camps and such for about fifteen years now but never dared to take all the organizing on me (such as renting a house, bus and so on. But I've visited literally every hospital in Sweden from Karlskrona to Mora :D).
La Cipolla, Ty Ni, Borky, Aurae, Dr. Alzheim, V-King and Eisbaer are responsible for the BMT and apart from a handful of disagreeabilities with the schedules, they did a stellar job.

Is that an invitation? ;) Well, no, not really. I haven't got anything to do with the Makers and wouldn't know what to talk about...
That didn't stop me from attending. ;) There's plenty of friendly and welcoming people and enough activities and work to do for everyone.
Well, to be fair, I knew some people beforehand, which was the main reason for me to go there, but my point still stands.

drunken monkey
16.09.2011, 01:56
Yeah, people! /o/ Yeah, activities! \o\ Yeah, wor— wait! :O

Turgon
19.09.2011, 21:59
i wrote my math exam today and it was harder than expected...
But that doesn't matter, what matters is, that there are just two exams left. They won't be easy, but two more and it's finally over!

And... did you donate some money? ;)
Well...no, I'm kinda stubborn about this. I don't want to donate, because a girl with a saccharine smile convinced me to do it.
When I'm ready to donate, then I'll do it, but now I don't have money for this...

Virginie
19.09.2011, 22:28
I will never ever forgive the responsible person(s) for turning my Lifestyle-Forum into this trolling mess which it has become since.

Anyone interested in reviving the French thread by the way?

Diomedes
19.09.2011, 23:26
I will never ever forgive the responsible person(s) for turning my Lifestyle-Forum into this trolling mess which it has become since.

Honestly, I considered it. I even remembered that such a thread existed (surprise!). Alas, my french is pretty bad and it would take me several hours just to write an intelligible posting. Not to mention one that would be worthy of a thread revival. But if you give it a try, I might do so as well. Don't rely too much on me though. Keep in mind that I have some serious trouble with that language. It's even worse than my english.

drunken monkey
20.09.2011, 00:06
But that doesn't matter, what matters is, that there are just two exams left.
(As you said you want to be corrected …)
In English you don't put a comma before „that“ (at least usually – you do, e.g., in lists, of course). A bit confusing as it's exactly the other way 'round in German, I know.
I'd also split that sentence in a stronger way (after „matter“) – either into two completely separate sentences, or with a colon, semicolon or dash. But that's really a minor detail. ^^""

My French is far worse than Dio's, so I really don't think I'd be able to participate. :-/ On the other hand, in principle I would like to improve it (even read „Le Petit Prince“ recently in a vague attempt in that direction), so maybe that'd help … *shrug*

Oh, and very nice signature, by the way! :D

~Jack~
20.09.2011, 00:27
No, french sucks xD I had it for 6 years and only managed to finish it relatively well because I wrote my homework in english and then used a translator, which someone turned out alright :D

DSA-Zocker
20.09.2011, 00:29

Yes. :)

Turgon
21.09.2011, 16:40
I can't speak french sorry, although I can say "Hello I'm" and "Do you wanna sleep with me?":D

@drunken Monkey: Thanks, I'll try to remember this.

Aenarion
25.09.2011, 22:11
We can't let this thread disappear into oblivion. Okay, it's only been four days but hey, four days on the Internet is like forever, and then some. After successfully (at least up to now) reviving the French thread, I shall now also venture into these linguistic regions. ;) As it seems that, right now, there is no subject to discuss, I'd like to suggest one: Movies, or rather movies in their original language. I am not a huge movie fan, but I still like a good one every now and then. Now, the problem is that nowadays, the huge majority of all movies that make it to the cinema are English. While that's fine per se, here in Austria (and I guess Germany is much the same) it's not that easy to see a film in English, e.g. the language it has originally been made in. At least in Salzburg, where I'm currently living, you get maybe 5, 6 representations in "OV", and that's it. If you miss those, you can watch "The King's Speech" in German... yay. The situation is somewhat better in bigger cities like Vienna, for instance, but still... And it's not a weird decisions by the movie theaters either, if you go into an OV-movie, 8 times out of ten it will be half empty or worse. So it stands to reason that most people don't want to see films in the original language but prefer to have it translated to theirs... I find this a bit weird, since, in my opinion, you lose a lot of the atmosphere of the movie in the translation, especially if there is any kind of puns, humor, idioms ore dialects involved...
So, what's your opinion about that? I'd like to know if I'm alone with that problem or if it's only in my provincial "city" that movies are seldom played in English... discuss! ;)

These
25.09.2011, 22:30
I know your problem, it's the same here. The cinema in my city is a pretty small one and thus there is not enough room for films in their original language. If I wanted to watch a movie in its original language I'd have to wait for the Blu-ray-release. And even if there was a possibility to watch a film in English here, I'd have the problem that most of my friends wouldn't want to come with me 'cause they prefer the German version. That sucks the most, seeing that so many movies lose a lot of atmosphere and humour due to a (bad) translation. A good solution for this kind of problem is the way it's handled in the Netherlands, where movies aren't translated but subbed.

Damn, it's so hard to write in English after such a long time. I feel like a pupil in 9th grade.^^

drunken monkey
25.09.2011, 22:38
Well, I rarely go to the cinema at all, so this doesn't really bug me that much. I do prefer the original version (OK, only as long as it's English, of course.), too, though. But mostly watching films on DVD or … *cough* other OV channels … => problem solved. ^^"" When I do go to the cinema, it's mostly for the company, and then I get overruled to watch the German version in most cases anyways. <__<"
So, yeah, original versions >> dubs, but I don't really have that problem. I tend to have the discussion more often than actually having to watch a dubbed film in the cinema. XD
Oh, and the situation isn't really that much better in Vienna, I guess. We have a few cinemas dedicated to original versions, but apart from that there's also very little offered by the other cinemas in that respect.

~Jack~
26.09.2011, 01:42
I don't really care about watching movies in english unless they're heavy on jokes (like Discworld where many translations sound way too ridiculous ... Jonathan Teatime - Jonathan Kaffeetrinken ... seriously?)
In a way I actually prefer german because many english movies tend to have a music track that sometimes nearly drowns out the voices so I have a hard time understanding what's being said.
Witnessed this again while watching watching movies with Byder a few days ago.

But there's one medium where I will always prefer english and that is games because I've heard way too many bad synchros. It's like they're not even trying to make it sound good.

Moyaccercchi
27.09.2011, 15:04
Concerning movies I had a shocking experience yesterday... as some of you know I participate in couchsurfing, like, a lot. A LOT! So right now I'm having a German and a Japanese guy sleeping over at my place, and yesterday we decided to watch a movie. I suggested Lilya 4-ever, due to it being totally awesome and amazening and stuff like that. =)
Well, I put the DVD into my computer, I click on languages... and... WTF? This is, I think, the only movie that I actually ever bought on DVD. And now I see the fucking reason: On this stupid German DVD are only German subtitles. Way to go if you want to watch a movie in Russian and Swedish with a Japanese person who doesn't understand a word of German. >__>''
I mean, seriously, I paid money for that (!!!), and then they don't even manage to put fucking English subtitles on the disc? I'm not talking about dubbing the whole thing, but there should be enough place for a textfile. GNAAAH.

(Oh, and university is killing me... who again was that genius having the idea of studying maths? ...)

Turgon
19.01.2012, 23:48
Its back from page 3, the English-Thread!!
@last topic:
I like to watch movies in english. Some jokes are just better, for example in How I Met Your Mother.
Some good movies aren't translated, so you have to watch them in english, like Honeydripper, which I havent seen, but the trailer is just pure awesomeness for me:D
The Sons Of Anarchy series seems to be good too and its not translated, although it was aired in 2008 O.o
I think, I start watching this series...
Whatever...I'm too tired to write much in english^^

Ryo Descard
20.01.2012, 14:31
Watching movies in English is usually pretty awesome. I like the sound of the english language way more than that of the german language.
However, for a series, I usually stay with the language in which I first encountered it. Animes in Japanase, with english subtitles, series I know from the internet usually in english and TV-Series preferable in german.

Also: Why the heck was this thread on page 3? Didn´t even know of it´s existance. Way to go Qfrat :/

Karl
21.01.2012, 12:52
I usually prefer the original language of most books or movies, but I dont mind german localisation too much (except, of course, when its loveless or downright stupid). What seems to be a big problem in adapting movies, book, whatsoever to anouther country, is the fact, that most of the voice actors just try to copy the style of the original voice. While some succeed, most of them fail - for example (female) german voice actors who try to copy the japanese ones. It just dont work out.

This week I read the novel 'New York' from Edward Rutherfurd. Normally I prefer fantasy, but in preparation for my abitur I started to read the historical novel, since one topic is 'new york' (under the greater topic of 'living in the metropolis'). First I though, I wouldnt handle a 1000 page chunk about an american city without exploding mechas or at least farting dragons. But I really like it, I even stared to think that most of the novels I read and loved before are just better chunk.

BDraw
21.01.2012, 14:46
I tend to stick to whatever language I read the book or watched the movie in first, simply because it makes it easier to understand references. The last time I noticed that was when I read the last volume of Harry Potter. Due to the great localization in German, I recognized next to none of the spells or made-up words at first. (Even though "to disappear" made a whole lot of more sense than "disapparrieren". Well, duh.) ._.
However, I prefer Sitcoms in their original language. Especially the ones like How I met your Mother oder Big Bang Theory, because there are so many puns that are hard to translate that they tend to get lost in the process of localization, even though I think that the dub is actually quite good.

What seems to be a big problem in adapting movies, book, whatsoever to anouther country, is the fact, that most of the voice actors just try to copy the style of the original voice. While some succeed, most of them fail - for example (female) german voice actors who try to copy the japanese ones. It just dont work out.
That's something I only found in anime localizations thus far. I think it wouldn't be so bad if they chose a certain style and stuck with it at least, but in a lot of cases, every voice actor pronounces names differently. :/

By the way, did anyone of you read Eragon in English? I noticed that the last volume had a few chapters that sounded really odd in German, as if someone translated them simply word-for-word without paying attention to the style. I'd really like to know whether it really was the translator's fault or simply Paolini's writing being beyond words. :/

Olman
21.01.2012, 20:12
By the way, did anyone of you read Eragon in English? I noticed that the last volume had a few chapters that sounded really odd in German, as if someone translated them simply word-for-word without paying attention to the style. I'd really like to know whether it really was the translator's fault or simply Paolini's writing being beyond words. :/
I read parts 1-3 in English. Haven't bothered with the latest volume yet though. Would you recommend reading it?
I usually make a point of finishing a series of novels once I've started it, since otherwise all the time spent on reading (and, in my case, re-reading the first volumes) seems wasted if you don't find out how it all ends. But in the case of Inheritance, I'm not keen on reading it if it turns out to be a total let-down, as some people have said...

BDraw
21.01.2012, 22:46
If you're really keen on knowing how it ends, then read it. I wouldn't recommend buying it for any other reason, though. :/
Well, it's vastly different compared to the series' beginning, mainly because of Roran getting lots of action and Eragon doing nothing. It's a bit like volume 3: Lots of war and tactics, but only little interaction between the main characters. If you enjoyed Brisingr, there's a good chance you'll like this one as well.
However, the ending is easily the most anti-climatic thing I've ever read. So if you're mainly interested in just how Eragon will manage to finally defeat Galbatorix and don't care about the rest - stay away from the book. :|
Just about every single plottwist was also beyond bad. Deus Ex Machina seems to be the author's middle name.
Angela plays an important role, however, and she's great. Stupidly broken in terms of power and completely irrelevant to the story for the most part, but great none the less.

Angela: "Oh noez, these bloody shackles are unbreakable! But incidentally, I've got this totally awesome sword with me that can cut through virtually everything except it's own scabbard! My, aren't we lucky today!" *ca-tching!*

Turgon
27.02.2012, 19:50
The only book I read in english, was the fourth book of "The Runelords", because the first three were published in german, but the fourth not.
So I had to read this one in english to know how the first saga ends.
I also read the the first "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"-Comic and Watchmen, which are really good!
If you like the Watchmen movie, you like the comic too, I think, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is completely different to the movie, but also a lot of fun to read.
Well ok, I had to use an online dictionary very often, but it was worth it:D

Glannaragh
27.02.2012, 19:55
First book I read in English was "Lord of the Rings"... during my English advanced course, while wie were made watching movies in German. Best A-level preparation imaginable :rolleyes:. Well, my teacher was a bloke. Honestly.

Turgon
27.02.2012, 20:04
When I read Lord of the Rings in german, I thought it's hard to read(well I was pretty young then).
So I don't want to know how difficult the english version is^^'
A friend of mine watched the movies in english in preperation for his english abitur.

Edit: Well I have to add that those three books, I mentioned, were the first books I read by my choice.
Which book was the very first I dont remember. The only thing for sure is that it was some boring book, we had to read in the english class...

Glannaragh
27.02.2012, 23:10
When I read Lord of the Rings in german, I thought it's hard to read(well I was pretty young then).
A friend of mine watched the movies in english in preperation for his english abitur.
Not that hard in English. But I've always had a love for the English language that not even several bad teachers could spoil (yes, I've never had a good English teacher, though the last one was the worst. Luckily, teachers in literally all other subjects were at least all right and planted a a kind of interest in what they taught in my mind). I should have read a couple of other novels for English classes, but, to be honest, I never completed one of them. Turned out it wasn't necessary to do that to pass tests well :D.
Second novel I read in English (or American English) was 'Hannibal' by Thomas Harris. You know, Hannibal the cannibal. At least, I think you know the movie "Silence of the lambs" with Anthony Hopkins. They made a movie off the Hannibal novel too, but I didn't like that. But I remember, it was a big deal and nearly scandalous when it was shown across cinemas... I think more than ten years ago :D.
Anyways, that was tough to read in the beginning. Concerning language, definitely not what one learns at school ;).

Auratus
03.03.2012, 09:04

Same happened to me with Harry Potter. German version was quite smooth to read, then I got english version from my cousin and found some adjectives I have never seen before >_< Thank god I got some years ago a dictionary, "over 55 000 words and sayings". That really saved my butt.

Ave
03.03.2012, 09:37
I think it is good and necessary to read books in english, but I would never start with Harry Potter or something like that. I really hate it to it to look up every second word in the dict. It destroys the feeling and you can't follow the plot. The last book I've read in english was "Thirteen Reasons Why". A book about a girl who commited suicide and left some cassette tapes, talking about the 13 people who destroyed her life. The protagonist is one of those people. It's really a great book and everybody should have read it once in his life! - At the moment I'm reading " The Kite Runner" a very difficult book to read. The vocab is very hard and you need knowledge about the background in afghanistan. My english teacher forced me to read it, what a lucky fellow I am. /:

Auratus
03.03.2012, 11:20
Well, my cousins thought was "You know the story already, so now you can improve your english a little bit." Well, after 20 pages, I had definitively enough. -_-'

And my condolence, Aventor. You should ask him why he chose this book.

Turgon
25.10.2012, 08:40
Good Morning Vietnam!
Well, it's me again ressurecting this thread:D
Tonight is a party, but I dont know if I should go. Why? The problem is, I know just one person, who goes to the party, and this person knows many others. So I'm pretty sure most of the time I'm going to be either alone and drinking or standing by many people I don't know and drinking^^"
So what would you do? Go to the party or stay at home?

kate@net
25.10.2012, 08:46
That depends on the party. What are you doing there? Is it only drinking and talking? Is there a motto? Or anything intresting...
And you can always meet new people. You don't have to be shy, because you don't know anybody there yet.

Turgon
25.10.2012, 08:51
It's a public party. So it's all about talking, drinking and dancing, I think.
It's true that I don't have to be shy, but I'm shy, don't matter what I do:D Up to this time I couldn't get rid of being shy, although I try^^

Turgon
08.11.2012, 19:38
Hello again!
Right now I have to go a lecture, which is in english.
And sometimes I wonder, because the professor says something odd, like "so far so good" or "and so on and sofort".
To me it sound too german to be a real english phrase.
What do you think? Are these phrases common in the english language?

La Cipolla
08.11.2012, 20:21
"so far so good" definitely, the other one definitely NOT. :D

MEIN GOTT.

Glannaragh
09.11.2012, 03:07
Sure the second one isn't "so on and so forth"? Still sounds very 'german' to me, but would make more sense ;).

BDraw
09.11.2012, 19:36
"So on and so forth" may seem weird, but it's definitely an english idiom. Especially idiomatic stuff can sound really strange, but I guess that's due to a common origin.

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" still sounds absolutely stupid to me. :D

fedprod
09.11.2012, 20:19
And don't forget as the Benedictine Monk Bede wrote (freely circumscribed):

"The English Folk are the descendants of the following Germanic Tribes an kin: The Angles (area of modern Schleswig-Holstein) who migrated their whole nation to Britain, hence its archaic name Ængla land; the Saxons, originating from Lower Saxony (in modern German: Niedersachsen) and the Low Countries (Netherlands); and finally the Jutes, possibly from the Jutland peninsula (in modern Danish: Jylland)."

There is a lot archaic german old english and even some still in modern (britisch) englisch.
Everywhere migrants are bringing their language with them. Some other more recent german examples (in this case mostly american english) are:
rucksack, kindergarten, angst, zeitgeit, blitz, alpenglow, gemütlichkeit, gestalt, gesundheit, realpolitik, etc. ^_^

BDraw
10.11.2012, 23:40
Hey, if you take a look at Middle or (even worse) Old English, most English have a much harder time understanding stuff than us Germans, simply because half of it (literally) sounds like German. Or even Kölsch. :D

I mean, hey, "cutlass" used to be "panade" in Middle English, I don't know if the word is still used today. Some schnitzel, anyone?

fedprod
11.11.2012, 05:18
Some schnitzel, anyone?

That reminds me of a funny anecdote a friend once told me. He was on a trip to Israel, if I remember correctly on a short time student exchange,
and one time the guest mother prepared Schnitzel with some roasted Potatoes and veggies for dinner.
My friend wanted to express that he liked the meal very much, especially the Schnitzel, and racked his head for a proper english word for Schnitzel,
and at least, after of some short funny discussion and word grasping, and not even coming up with something like "sliced and crumbed pan fried pork meat",
he just pointed at one said slices and the guest mother said just dryly: "I don't know how you call it, but we here call it Schnitzel" :hehe:

Turgon
14.11.2012, 21:07
Sure the second one isn't "so on and so forth"?
After listening closer to my professor, I think this is, what he said. But it really sounds like "so on and sofort":D

It seems like there are many german words in english, I didnt know. Thanks for the information fedprod and funny anecdote btw:D

Ave
14.11.2012, 21:10
After listening closer to my professor, I think this is, what he said. But it really sounds like "so on and sofort":D

It seems like there are many german words in english, I didnt know. Thanks for the information fedprod and funny anecdote btw:D The first time I heard, that ''kindergarten'' is used in english kind of surprised me.

Turgon
14.11.2012, 21:17
What really suprised me is that there is no word for Schadenfreude in english. One of my favourite shows(Community) made a joke about this and i didn't understand it until I heard that there is no word for this:D

Ave
14.11.2012, 21:18
What really suprised me is that there is no word for Schadenfreude in english. One of my favourite shows(Community) made a joke about this and i didn't understand it until I heard that there is no word for this:D So how did they explain the word? Or tell me the joke, if you remember. ^^

Turgon
14.11.2012, 21:26
One of the main characters lost a game of foosball against some bad germans and then one of the germans says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGd56epac5c

Liferipper
15.11.2012, 10:06
What really suprised me is that there is no word for Schadenfreude in english. One of my favourite shows(Community) made a joke about this and i didn't understand it until I heard that there is no word for this

Lisa: Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer: No, I do not know what shaden-frawde is.
[sarcasm] Please tell me, because I'm dying to know.
Lisa: It's a German term for `shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!
[getting mad] He's usually all happy and comfortable, and surrounded by loved ones, and it makes me feel... What's the opposite of that shameful joy thing of yours?
Lisa: [nastily] Sour grapes.
Homer: Boy, those Germans have a word for everything!

:D

Turgon
11.04.2013, 00:13
Back from page 3!
Some weeks ago I met an american guy in a bar and he made one of the funniest jokes I've heard.
Well I ordered some shots for our group. Afterwards he said: "Well, I don't like jews!"
Me and my friends looked at each other and I asked the american:"What?!"
With a stone like face he replied: "Yeah, like tomatojuice or orangejuice" and then he laughed:D
Oh man, I hope, I can use this joke someday:D