PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Interview mit Don Miguel

treeghost
29.04.2010, 13:49
Long story short, der UPRC (http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=24136) hat den Don Miguel gefunden und gleich mal
ein Interview mit ihm gemacht.

Das ganze kann man hier lesen oder im GW (http://www.gamingw.net/article/interview-with-don-miguel/).

When most people think of RPG Maker 2000’s origins and beginnings, they do not think of the best games or famed game creators, no.. A well known Spanish internet alias is what comes to mind, and that alias is Don Miguel, the internet nickname of the popular Russian man who translated RPG Maker 95 and RPG Maker 2000.

These days, many people are not sure where Don Miguel resides. Some people believe he is, of sorts, a legend now due to his contribution to the amateur game making community, and due to him being the very reason that sites such as this were even created. As his deeds are well known, but the man himself is seldom seen. Well, I decided to do the RPG Making scene a favour by catching up with the elusive programmer and translator and asking him a series of questions.

In this interview, you will learn all about Don. From his reasons for not translating RPG Maker 2003 to his views on Gaming Ground Zero and to his favourite soft drinks, Gaming World is about to jump into Don Miguel’s head and let me tell you.. It’s certainly pretty interesting in there!

UPRC: Don, let me just say that it’s an honour to be interviewing you. Not only do you have a reputation as a legend in the RPG Maker scene, but from my own recollection, you’ve always been a pretty cool guy too so hey, why don’t you tell the folks who you are and what you do? Give them this opportunity to “know” Don Miguel.
Don: I have to greet all the readers. Yo all!
I’m a programmer and translator. I’ve graduated from 2 universities so far. I started working right after the school and haven’t moved from my place yet. It’s very reliable and, well, fine to keep. Since 13, I always had a gamedev hobby. I continue making games for myself and sometimes I’ll sell them. It doesn’t bring in much, so it’s just a hobby.
What do I like doing? Well.. I like visiting friends, like Japanese RPGs, books and anime… I plant cactuses, and I like cats. That’s all I can tell you.

UPRC: You sound like a pretty laid back guy! That’s pretty cool.

Don: My personality is just a mask on the internet, I think. But my real friends find me easy going and such.

UPRC: Anyway.. In retrospect, you’re responsible for a lot of sites existing such as Gaming World, Gaming Ground Zero, RPG RPG Revolution, and so on. Even though someone else would have likely translated RPG Maker 95 and 2000 if you had not, how does it make you feel knowing that you’ve had such a significant impact on the hobbies and leisurely activities of so many people?

Don: I like the feeling of that impact. Some people have become game developers, designers and work in the game development industry. But I also regret that I spent so much time supporting the RPG Maker products Which were nothing more than warez. I made my own maker made in 1995, “Platformer maker”.
And the fun fact is… localization isn’t hard. I finished the RPG Maker 95 translation in two hours and made the RPG Maker 2003 translation in 2 days, I think. So it was easy for anyone with some experience.

UPRC: With experience, yeah. A lot of people who work with the RPG Makers really don’t have that, so people like you really do them a large favour I would say. You say you regret spending so much time on the RPG Maker products.. Was this part of the reason why you decided not to translate RPG Maker 2003? What was the precise reason?

Don: I just waited for a letter from Enterbrain, it was like a nightmare… I mean, I used to put all my free time into the RPG Maker community in place of my own projects. So the letter was a good reason to stop. A few months later, I sold my commercial game. So it all was for good! I won’t name my games though. It’s not on topic with the question.

UPRC: So Enterbrain asking you to stop was your reason for not continuing?

Don: It was the last straw. So yes, it was the reason. I even believed them, helped them to gather some feedback from “future buyers” of the official English RPG Maker 2000, but they postponed the release. It doesn’t matter now.

UPRC: Definitely a good thing for you to do, then.
A lot of people don’t know what you’re up to these days, and they seem to think that finding the legendary Don Miguel is a difficult challenge. For these people, why don’t you tell us what you’re currently involved in? Making a game? Programming anything?

Don: I have a bad habit here! I like coding game engines. My latest engine uses LUA (see http://lua.org) as a script language. The engine is very portable and it works on both PC and some ARM based handhelds.
Every year, in July, I teach children how to program at a summer school for young programmers. This school is going to be devoted to some sound effects library coding. It’s my my own workshop.
I have three work in progress game projects, but I have to polish up my engine first before continuing them!

UPRC: Here’s a thinker for you, Don. If you had not translated the RPG Makers, do you think that Enterbrain may have considered releasing them on their own? And if they had, do you think that they would have had as much success as they have had through your translations?

Don: Well, I believe that they would have never released it abroad. I don’t count some Playstation stuff, those are not as serious as the PC RPG Makers.
I know some Japanese people in real life, and they say that domestic market of Japanese RPGs is devoted to “smart people”. Who does the domestic market consist of? You know.
My translations and free advertising brought much attention to their products in many countries. They could have even released it in Russia despite the software piracy.
I don’t know how much they had earned on RPG Makers abroad, but I believe the sum could be less without my “help”. That’s just my opinion. There are many similar (and more professional) products for game making, which became forgotten right before the release of the RPG Makers.

How ironic that back in the nineties I had so much trouble when my commercial games were pirated. I haven’t covered my expenses, but I’ve got some “fame” because my products were wide spread. My next projects were pirated as well…

UPRC: So you rose to fame through piracy? Sounds more like infamy, eh?
Here’s another RPG Maker question for ya. Don’t worry, this whole interview won’t focus on the RPG Makers. This will be the last question focusing solely on this subject.
What are your thoughts on the newer RPG Makers, XP and VX. You may not use them, but I’m sure you’re aware of them? Do you think that they are a step forward, or a step backward? Is Enterbrain giving the amateur game designers the proper tools? I ask this because a lot of people are still using RPG Makers 2000 and 2003 despite these newer engines, and they are reluctant to change. What are your thoughts?

Don: I haven’t used the new makers, but I’ve read about their features and I’ve seen some screen shots. They kept backward project compatibility, that’s good. They added Ruby. That’s good, too. However, I don’t think they (new makers) vary much. So if people want to make games, they could use any tool.
One day users realize that the RPG Makers have their limits. They’re good for starters, good for fun. Being a professional programmer, I still like the idea of RPG Makers. The key is in their simplicity.

UPRC: So you still have a soft spot for the RPG Makers?

Don: That spot is my friends, the friendships that I made through my work with the RPG Makers.

UPRC: That’s pretty nice to here, but I suppose it was evident since after passing on RPG Maker 2003, you continued at your ezBoard for a bit, followed by staffing at Gaming Ground Zero and then, finally, ending up at Stifu’s forum. You seem to have a close partnership with Stifu, even being featured as a playable character in his Mario Kart hack. How would you describe your relationship with Stifu, another well known figure from RPG Maker’s past?

Don: I didn’t pass on RPG Maker 2003. I just got a letter from Enterbrain and stopped distributing their products. I kept my forum online due to some friends of mine. It was the place to meet. Somehow I parted with GGZ (I never liked to be manipulated and such). It seems that Stifu is a very reliable man. Just look at his site. Stifu is my friend. For me, it’s a honor to have such a friend and be a tiny pixel in his (and his pal’s) project. I like Stifu’s pixel-art talent. Our friendship has grown up from the fight. I hope we’ll finish our cooperative projects and have some projects in the future.

UPRC: Well, I wish you luck! Now, remember that this interview is for Gaming World. Predominantly, we are an RPG Maker community. However, I know that there are a lot of people at the website who would undoubtedly try other makers or methods of making games if they had the chance. What route would you suggest these people try if they would want to branch out from RPG Maker?

And that is where things abruptly ended as Don’s replies stopped coming. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s all he felt like saying?

Anyway, that’s that.

TrueMG
29.04.2010, 14:03
Also das war sehr interessant. Ein Interview mit "der Legende". Nice :)

estapolis
29.04.2010, 15:23
Ich erinnere mich noch gut daran, den 2k von seiner unglaublich schlecht aussehenden Page gesaugt zu haben :)

Laterna
29.04.2010, 15:55
Tolle Story, war gut zu lesen und sehr interessant. Danke!

MagicMaker
29.04.2010, 17:33
Ahja das Interview hab ich vor kurzem schonmal gesehen. Und bei weitem nicht das
erste mit ihm xD ~ das letzte was ich vorher gesehen hatte war von Maturion, allerdings
findet man das im Netz nichtmehr da die Page weg ist.

Ich erinnere mich noch gut daran, den 2k von seiner unglaublich schlecht aussehenden Page gesaugt zu haben :)
Wer in alten Zeiten schmökern will, die Page gibts auch noch weiterhin, natürlich ganz
ohne Makerdownload. :'D

http://rpgmaker2000.narod.ru/

Aldinsys
29.04.2010, 17:57
Dons kleines Spiel fand ich damals total lustig. Das Interview weckt alte Erinnerungen an den RM2K.

RPG Hacker
29.04.2010, 21:12
I finished the RPG Maker 95 translation in two hours and made the RPG Maker 2003 translation in 2 days, I think.

Das erklärt einiges.

Loxagon
21.05.2010, 23:42
Das waren noch Zeiten, damals.

Da gabs noch öfters eine neue Version von Leid, Auroros Tears ... Das Weltenbau-Projekt war noch nicht verstorben ... Jaja, die gute alte Zeit ...

DarkNanaki
21.05.2010, 23:50
Wir können die alten Zeiten wieder aufleben lassen... wenn wir es wirklich wollen...

Loxagon
22.05.2010, 00:03
Wir können die alten Zeiten wieder aufleben lassen... wenn wir es wirklich wollen...

Du weißt wo die Macher der alten Spiele abgeblieben sind und überredest sie nun eine VV rauszubringen ...?

DarkNanaki
22.05.2010, 00:10
Du weißt wo die Macher der alten Spiele abgeblieben sind und überredest sie nun eine VV rauszubringen ...?

Ich bin doch auch einer davon und arbeite noch an RPG Maker Spielen. ;)
Was die anderen alten Hasen angeht, keinen Schimmer. Aber Mysterylady, Biohazard, No Use, Kelven und Square sind doch immerhin auch noch im Rennen. Noch ist das letzte Wort nicht gesprochen. Aber wenn es so weitergeht und kein frischer Wind in die ganze Szenerie hier weht, könnte es tatsächlich das Ende einer Ära sein, wie ich im anderen Thread sagte...

Loxagon
22.05.2010, 00:13
Frischer Wind mag ja notwendig sein, aber wenn garde Perlen wie Auroras Tear / Neid etc... nie beendet werden ... Das motiviert neue Makerer auch nicht grade. "Hmm ... Wenn die schon TOP-GAMES nie vollenden, dann fang ich mit meinem gar nicht an!"

DarkNanaki
22.05.2010, 00:20
Dasselbe Schicksal wie bei vielen mittelprächtigen Spielen, aber nach denen kräht dann meist kein Hahn mehr. Naja ich hoffe mal, mit Velsarbor geht noch was. Lachsen meinte mal, TrueMGs LP hätte ihn ein wenig neu motiviert. (Hoffe ich erzähle jetzt keinen Blödsinn)

Loxagon
22.05.2010, 10:42
"Von Menschen und anderen Dämonen", da hätte ich auch gerne ne VV. Zumindest sagt Rübe ja dass es "bald" eine VV von 7th Warrior gibt. Nur ist bald ein sehr dehnbarer Begriff :D

sorata08
22.05.2010, 13:16
Wenn man die "Perlen" der Makerszene auf in die Jahre gekommene Spiele für den rm2k beschränkt, dann könnten eure Aussagen vielleicht irgendwo ihre Berechtigung haben.
Aber gerade von DarkNanaki hätte ich erwartet, dass Spiele wie Hybris Rebirth nicht untern Teppich gekehrt werden (und es ist alles andere als ein durchschnittliches 0815-Projekt...).

MfG Sorata

DarkNanaki
22.05.2010, 13:28
Hybris Rebirth roxxt und rult. :)
Du wirst lachen, mir sind gestern nichtmal Kelven und Biohazard sofort in den Sinn gekommen von den noch immer aktiven Oldschool Topmakerern. Hab sie dann nachträglich erst reineditiert.

Auge des Sterns
23.05.2010, 22:55
Naja, die Verluste der vielen Makerer sind schon tragisch. Aber das war alles noch, als ich 8 war. Ich denke, man sollte in die Zukunft blicken. Es gibt noch viele Makerer in der Szene. Und da sich auch noch Jugendlich dafür interessieren, sollte es noch eine Weile so bleiben. Ich werde zumindest solange drin beleiben, bis ich einen Beruf habe, der Burnoutgarantie hat. Möge dieser Tag fern bleiben.
Edit: Um beim Thema zu bleiben. Don hat ganze Arbeit mit dem RPG2000 geleistet. Ich wünshcte nur, dass sein RTP nicht so viele Problemressis hätte. Früher war dieses Problem auch sehr geringfügig. *seufz*

Edit: @Aventor
Ich denke, dass das stimmt. Ich hoffe nur, dass jetzt nicht zu viele ein Custom KS verlangen. Es geht auch ohne. Hauptsache, die Geschichte reißt mit und die Charaktere sind lebendig erzählt. So finde ich es zumindest. Kelvens Spiele haben (meistens jedenfalls) diese Kriterien immer ganz gut erfüllt.

Ave
23.05.2010, 22:59
Naja, die Verluste der vielen Makerer sind schon tragisch. Aber das war alles noch, als ich 8 war. Ich denke, man sollte in die Zukunft blicken. Es gibt noch viele Makerer in der Szene. Und da sich auch noch Jugendlich dafür interessieren, sollte es noch eine Weile so bleiben. Ich werde zumindest solange drin beleiben, bis ich einen Beruf habe, der Burnoutgarantie hat. Möge dieser Tag fern bleiben.
Edit: Um beim Thema zu bleiben. Don hat ganze Arbeit mit dem RPG2000 geleistet. Ich wünshcte nur, dass sein RTP nicht so viele Problemressis hätte. Früher war dieses Problem auch sehr geringfügig. *seufz*

Na klar wird's auch noch in Zukunft Makerer geben.
Aber solche Pro's wie Kelven oder Lachsen werden auch noch in ferner Zukunft uns mit ihren glanzleistungen beglücken :)
Hoff ich zumindest

Düstermond
24.05.2010, 00:49
Sehr schönes Interview. Ich erinnere mich noch genau, wie ich damals den Maker durch mein 56k Moden gepresst habe. Da fühlten sich 10MB an wie derzeit 1GB :)

0nyx
27.05.2010, 20:50
Wirklich sehr interessant mit dieser englischen Übersetzung hat er den Maker wohl erst wirklich zu uns gebracht. Auch wenn mich hier wohl kaum jemand (woh leher niemand heheh ^^") kennt an die Zeit kann ich mich auch noch erinnern und an mein erstes Spiel und an Dreamland ... und diese ganzen Spiele ...

Wenn ich so bedenke erstaunlich wie sich das in den einzelnen Kommunen entwickelt hat, also von den Ländern. Auch das mit den Patches wie der berühmte Keypatch. Und diese Lichteffekte die damals aufkamen, war ja schon erstaunlich wenn jemand etwas ganz selbstgezeichnetes hatte.

Hach ja die gute alte Zeit des RTPs ;D

treeghost
27.05.2010, 21:00
Hach ja die gute alte Zeit des RTPs ;D
Dann hast du ja das Revival das sich fast 3 Jahre langgezogen hat verpasst. ◔ิд◔

0nyx
27.05.2010, 21:18
Hahaha ja das hab ich übersprungen weil ich nicht wirklich im Forum aktiv war ab und zu geschaut und so ...
Du meinst bestimmt die ganzen Fungames und so oder? Und die RTP Contests?

treeghost
27.05.2010, 21:23
Wäre es nur das gewesen... ._.

0nyx
27.05.2010, 21:25
Höh! Was ernsthafte Projekte mit dem RTP? Naja wenn man noch ein bissel was dazu pixelt kann das ja was werden wie dieses Projekt ... ich erinnere mich kaum noch an seinen Namen ... ich glaube es hieß Onyx xD von Whatever ... ich fand seinen Ansatz schon recht gut aber es kommt einfach aus der Mode und man kann ja M&B schon fast als neues RTP bezeichnen. Ich finde den Stil davon auch einfach brilliant, es wundert mich nicht das es so gut ankommt hihihi

Aber am RTP soll es ja nicht scheitern wenn das Spiel gut ist!

Auge des Sterns
27.05.2010, 21:28
Höh! Was ernsthafte Projekte mit dem RTP? Naja wenn man noch ein bissel was dazu pixelt kann das ja was werden wie dieses Projekt ... ich erinnere mich kaum noch an seinen Namen ... ich glaube es hieß Onyx xD von Whatever ... ich fand seinen Ansatz schon recht gut aber es kommt einfach aus der Mode und man kann ja M&B schon fast als neues RTP bezeichnen. Ich finde den Stil davon auch einfach brilliant, es wundert mich nicht das es so gut ankommt hihihi

Aber am RTP soll es ja nicht scheitern wenn das Spiel gut ist!

Stimmt eigentlich. M&B finde ich auch als guten Stil. Sieht sehr schön aus und passt zu vielen Spielen. Aber RTP lehne ich auch nicht ab. Wäre auch dumm, wenn die Story hammer ist.